Stuck in Eastern Oregon

My knee is still hurting, so I haven’t left Grant County yet. After I left the warm showers host’s house, I went down to the RV park in Prarie city and set up my tent under the gazebo there. It was a nice spot be out of the storm. There was wifi, plenty of outlets to charge stuff, and a sink. In the evening, an older guy on a bicycle showed up and pitched his tent in the corner of the gazebo. He wasn’t very talkative, but that was cool with me as I just felt like reading anyways. There was a market nearby, so I got some cheap steaks and cooked them up on my little camping stove. Its hard to control the heat on that thing, so they came out a little charred, but I just drowned them in bbq sauce. Later, I ate some snacks and watched the thunderstorm. It was the first time I was a little cold at night.

 The old guy left early in the morning while I was making oatmeal for breakfast. I was alone there for most of the day, and I just read, played around on my mandolin, and cooked up some sausages for lunch. Around 5, two people on bikes showed up. They were a couple. I didn’t catch their names, but they were nice, and the guy told me why my knee might be hurting. A little while after the couple showed up, a middle aged hitchhiker came to the gazebo. He seemed nice, but he talked a lot, and the more I listened to him, the more it seemed like he was a little off. I fell asleep around 9: 30. It was still cold, but not as bad as the night before. 

Today, I woke up early and decided I’d had enough of Prarie City, so I rode 13 miles back to John Day with the intention of catching the bus to Baker City from here sometime this week. It was an easy ride mostly downhill so it didn’t bother my knee to much. I got some breakfast, and then checked into a cheap motel for a couple days. It was going to be an hour until my room was ready, so I decided to go hang out at the city park. As soon as I got to the park, there was a ranger there that invited me on a free tour of an old Chinese store in front of the park that had been there since the 1800s. I left my bike in the nearby visitors center, and then went on the tour. It was pretty cool to hear the history of the building and see all the old stuff inside. I had no idea it was there the first time I passed Through John day. It is a historic landmark now because it is the oldest and first Chinese mercantile in the USA. I’m now in my motel room, and I will probably go get a pizza for dinner later.
Camped under the gazebo

Behind the gazebo

Old Chinese mercantile


One thought on “Stuck in Eastern Oregon

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s